Job Opportunity: CEO of the NB Business Council
February 18, 2015 | 99250 Comments
Position Profile: President & Chief Executive Officer
Reporting to the Chair, the President and Chief Executive Officer will be responsible for leading and managing the New Brunswick Business Council (NBBC) in its work to champion entrepreneurship and promote robust economic policy debate and development. The incumbent will initiate collaborative activities and identify opportunities for the Council to promote its mandate of creating tangible outcomes in the areas of entrepreneurship and public policy. S/he will drive a communications strategy that ensures effective and seamless relations with media, the business community, government officials, the public and all stakeholders and clearly articulates the Council’s non-partisan policy positions and ideas for positive and practical actions by government and other groups that align with the Council’s vision. Working closely with the members, s/he will facilitate all strategic decisions; facilitate regular meetings; build and maintain good rapport with media organizations and act as the Council’s public representative in supporting and proposing initiatives that encourage New Brunswick’s economic growth. The President & CEO will work diligently to champion programs and entrepreneurial activities that build New Brunswick’s reputation as the best place in Canada to start and grow businesses.
Key priorities include:
• Developing the Council’s long term strategic direction, translating strategy into the implementation of shorter term priorities and objectives and providing all stakeholders with regular updates on the progress toward established goals.
• Working closely with Council members to develop plans and tactics for the continuous development of entrepreneurial and economic renewal activities in New Brunswick.
• Consistently demonstrating effective leadership by building and maintaining optimal relationships with business and community groups, government officials, media organizations, and all stakeholders.
• Being consistently aware of, and communicating to the Council, all relevant legislative and policy developments.
• Maintaining a strong commitment to the Council’s vision of creating a vibrant and prosperous New Brunswick
Key Selection Criteria:
A highly-skilled relationship builder, the ideal candidate is an action-oriented business leader who is a high performance professional with a passion to help the province of New Brunswick realize its full potential. With superb business acumen and political savvy, s/he has a proven ability to objectively evaluate and assess fiscal and economic policies, and to positively influence decision-makers. S/he intrinsically understands the high value of an effective communications strategy, possesses superior interpersonal and diplomatic skills and can establish an effective rapport with representatives from public, private and community organizations in both of New Brunswick’s official languages. S/he has made a significant contribution to the success of organizations in previous roles and has a solid track record of implementing creative and effective initiatives that have had a real and measurable impact. The incumbent will have a highly visible and sophisticated management style and a surplus of ideas and energy; has exceptional project management and organizational skills; produces high quality written and verbal presentations; can facilitate productive discussions and meetings both internally and externally; is highly collaborative and knows how to
achieve consensus; can draw upon an established business network within New Brunswick and across the country; inspires confidence and trust and ensures integrity and transparency in all his/her activities and responsibilities. Highly-respected and well regarded by his/ her peers, the professional career of the new President & CEO demonstrates an alignment with the NBBC’s mission and strategic vision for the future of New Brunswick. Most importantly, you possess superb drive, vision and judgment.
Core Competencies include:
Strategic and Visionary Thinking – Has the ability to formulate and articulate a future vision and can translate it into strategies and action plans that will enable the organization to achieve its strategic objectives. Extremely competent at translating the vision into common language in such a way that others are motivated and inspired.
Clear, Collaborative Communication – Has exceptional interpersonal and relationship development skills; establishes productive relationships with key stakeholders; able to influence others through well-developed oral and written communications skills; a team player who works collaboratively with business partners and colleagues, continually looking out for what is best for the organization.
Business & Financial Acumen – Knows how businesses work; knowledgeable in current and possible future policies, practices, trends, and information affecting his/her organization; is aware of how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace.
Relationship Builder – Can build and maintain solid relationships within, across and outside the organization. Actively builds and maintains relationships that support business goals. Personalizes work relationships to facilitate smooth operations. Allocates time and effort to understanding and meeting the needs of internal or external stakeholders. Displays good social and interpersonal skills.
Experienced Leader - Demonstrated track record of success in senior-level management roles; able to communicate a vision and create a collaborative, innovative culture that stimulates creative thinking and a will to seek out excellence; is a problem-solver and a quick thinker; effectively manages relationships and can implement change when needed.
Integrity and Trust – Is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner; admits mistakes; doesn’t misrepresent him/herself for personal gain.
Decision Quality – Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; most of his/her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time; sought out by others for advice and solutions.
Strategic Agility – Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately; has broad knowledge and perspective; is future oriented; can articulately paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities and likelihoods; can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans.
Priority Setting – Spends his/her time and the time of others on what’s important; quickly zeros in on the critical few and puts the trivial many aside; can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks; creates focus.
Informing – Provides the information people need to know to do their jobs and to feel good about being a member of the team, unit, and/or the organization; provides individuals information so that they can make accurate decisions; is timely with information.
Action Oriented – Enjoys working hard; is action oriented and full of energy for the things he/she sees as challenging; not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning; seizes opportunities.
Savvy – Uses diplomacy and tact; can diffuse even high-tension situations comfortably.
Listening – Practices attentive and active listening; has the patience to hear people out; can accurately restate the opinions of others even when he/she disagrees.
After consultations with several primary stakeholders, the following additional personal attributes have been identified as being essential for this role:
• Passion for promoting the interests and socioeconomic well-being of New Brunswick
• Strong relationship building skills; can create effective partnerships with public, private, community organizations and NGO’s.
• A visionary with the ability to assess and execute on the tactical needs of the organization; has clearly produced results in previous roles
• Superior communication, presentation and interpersonal skills; a good listener; media savvy and a highly capable public spokesperson for the Council
• Inter-governmental relations experience; ability to assess/influence good government initiatives; political savvy but non partisan; public policy advocate
• Economic development expertise
• Strong leadership skills; confidence with low ego; consistently demonstrates good judgment
• Collaborative and builds consensus; facilitates effective discussions and decision making; can get the “buy in” from the membership
• Strong business acumen; highly professional; diplomatic, tactful and respectful; appropriately assertive
• Energetic and enthusiastic, action-oriented; highly motivated
• Strength of character; integrity; credibility
• Good reputation as a community-minded individual
• An established network in NB and across the country
• Strategic; executes action plans efficiently; maximizes available resources
• Strong organizational and multi-taking skills; sets priorities; is always prepared
• Change agent
• Experience working with Boards/ Executive Committees
Location is flexible. The ability to communicate effectively in both English and French is considered an asset.
Interested candidates should submit their expressions of interest (letter, CV) via our Qimple posting (preferred), or via email to email@example.com. The application deadline is 12:00pm Monday, March 2nd, 2015.